Online manga sites

(still in exam study mode. a little over a week left)

I like to read digital comics off my own computer, whenever I want with the program I want (CDisplay) and in the highest resolution possible. That’s why every release on this site has been zipped up to download at your leisure, and that’s not going to change.

But it’s come to my attention that there are people who have never read a comic on their computer before, and aren’t particularly enticed by the idea. It goes without saying that these people have never heard of programs for reading comics, and have nothing but the awful Windows Picture Viewer to do that for them.

Since to these people, manga is already black and white and backwards, I don’t want to be putting up any more barriers to entry for them. If they want to read something scanlated by this site, I want them to be able to, and with ease.

This is probably most likely to happen by one of those websites that allow people to read manga online at the click of a button. Hundreds of them seem to have cropped up in recent years, and while I don’t use them, I get that a lot of people do. It’d be nice to be able to include a “Read Online” link with the usual download links to make sure I’m getting through to as many people as I can.

Frankly I don’t know how these sites don’t get shut down, but I bet there’s more than a few out there now that’re hosting all of our releases. Which of these sites should I link to?

I’d like to choose a site that avoids as many of the following things as possible, but I understand they pretty much all do these:

1) Big fuck-off watermarks
2) No credit for the scanlator or original author
3) Ads
4) Tiny little scans
5) Strange interface or anything else that gets in the way of the reading experience
6) Registration

Any recommendations?

This entry was posted in admin and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Online manga sites

1. srx says:

(Assuming you don’t mind hosting it yourself)

2. thresholden says:

The closest manga reader out there that fits is mangatoshokan.com, it has ads but doesn’t resize or watermarks images.

3. Dante says:

I’d recommend Manga Fox @ http://www.mangafox.com. While it is almost impossible nowadays to avoid #3 (not a problem for me thanks to AdBlock), it has avoided all other problems, requiring registration only for discussion of the manga on its forums or adding it to bookmarks for later reading (which is quite convenient, given the amount of other interesting manga they have).
    It is currently hosting 7 of Junji Ito’s works, whereas 2 (Gyo and Uzumaki) have been removed due to licensing. Below are the following, with credits:
    -Black Paradox chapters 1-3, scanlated by Titania
    -Falling, scanlated by SameHat
    -Hellstar Remina, chapter 1 scanlated by Brolen, chapters 2-6.1 scanlated by DANIEL.AU
    -Itou Junji No Neko Nikki: Yon & Mu (non-horror), scanlated by /a/nonymous scanlations
    -Mimi No Kaidan, scanlated by ScansRemix
    -Yami No Koe, chapter 1 scanlated by Tsama, chapters 2-7 scanlated by DANIEL.AU
    -Shin Yami No Koe, scanlated by DANIEL.AU

4. Kincyr says:

I recommend CityManga. ads are minimal and they don’t use watermarks (only watermarks, if any, are from the scanlators) or an opaque mark such as “This image is hosted at MangaFox” (except in some cases where the only scans of a chapter was from MangaFox)
    they also support credits pages and there is no registration. the only interface they have is letting you use the left and right arrow keys to navigate pages.

to go down the list:
    1) no site watermarks or MangaFox-like opaque marks
    2) credit given for original author on manga summary page, and credit given for scanlators if they provide their own credit page
    3) minimal ads, they don’t get in the way or anything
    4) no resizing
    5) nothing to get in the way of reading experience
    6) no registration at all

5. thresholden says:

Hate to pick a fight but both citymanga and mangafox resizes and distorts their images.

Compare the size and clarity of http://www.citymanga.com/veritas/chapter-81/3/ and http://www.mangafox.com/manga/veritas/v10/c081/3.html
    to http://www.mangatoshokan.com/read/Veritas/helz0ne/81/3

This is the original from the scanlator http://www.helz0ne-scans.com/reader/Veritas/81_End/3

6. anon says:

I recommend Dynasty Reader which avoids all the things you pointed. Right now it has mainly yuri series but they are willing to put other things there too.

7. Daniel Lau says:

Citymanga, Mangafox: Yeah, I don’t know. It’s kind of a big red flag when they list Crime and Punishment under TSUMI TO BATSU (OCHIAI NAOYUKI) so that no-one can ever find it. Isn’t that what I changed the title to on April Fool’s Day?

Mangatoshokan: Is either currently down or I can’t access it here from Japan.

Dynasty Reader: I like this a lot. It’s a pity our releases are out of whack content-wise with what they have there, because that site is pretty much everything an online manga site should be.

Really appreciate the suggestions, guys. Keep them coming!

8. Angie says:

Honestly, I’ve never had any real problems reading all my scanlated manga via Picture Viewer. Can someone explain to me the advantages of using a dedicated comic reading program?

9. Daniel Lau says:

Hi Angie,

With Picture Viewer I would always be zooming and scrolling, a dedicated program reduces this to a minimum. You have to try it to really see though.

10. Ramiro says:

I prefer to use the Windows Picture viewer. I’ve used CDisplay in the past and found it a bit hard on my poor vision. Maybe it’s just me? It’s a good program though, not knocking that. But I just like the Windows one better for reading Scans.

Also, I might be wrong, but some Manga reading sites were being shut down last I heard…

11. Kenshiki says:

Animea will do the job perfectly, check it.

12. Daniel Lau says:

Kenshiki: Looks like it has pop-ups. Sorry, pet peeve.

I might ask Dynasty Reader if they’ll host some of our releases, otherwise I’ll just go with MangaFox etcetera.

Thanks again for your help, peoples.

13. Parkingtigers says:

I read a lot of comics on my computer in the past, and I never found it to be a particularly satisfying experience. Online comics are even worse, they tend to be the ugliest websites in existence and if you are on a laptop then fitting the content to the screen is always an issue.

Reading comics digitally only really became a pleasure when the iPad came out. That thing is the perfect size for comics and manga, and I can heartily recommend the ComicZeal app which is the best at what it does.

Daniel, I wanted to say a huge thanks for your work on the Junji Ito translations. I stumbled across them only recently thanks to the goon forums, and I’ve eagerly grabbed every last one as I adore Ito’s work. Loading it all up onto my iPad now and I’ll be devouring them over the next few days. Another advantage of reading on a tablet is that it makes reading horror comics in bed, with the lights out, a real treat.

Thanks again.

14. kie8 says:

Try this

I don’t think there’s better than this online manga site.

15. Daniel Lau says:

I quite like Batoto too, but I’m not seeing a way I can easily upload the stuff I’ve translated. Unless someone else gets on that, I think I’m going to take the lazy way out and link to MangaFox.

16. Melody says:

I recommend looking into a freeware program that reads cbr and cbz formats. It saves space on the computer and it’s as easy as renaming the file. (cbr=rar, cbz=zip). These programs are usually designed with reading comics in mind.

Also, thank you very much for your translations, I love Junji Ito’s works.

17. Dee says:

Mangafox is a big no-no, to me. :(

Mangafox also shares the same owner of Mangahere which actually makes profits off people’s scans. Those guys make tens of millions per year and not a cent of it goes back to the mangaka or companies, ever. You can ask around if you don’t believe me. They earn a lot from the ads and Google btw, doesn’t care.

I hate MangaFox too ‘cos they put up a ton of groups’ scans without permission and refused to take them down even when people requested them to. You can read all about a certain issue here when some Mangaupdates mod decided to have his own way, which led to the closure of a group:

Beware scanlators, there are a ton of manga hosters and readers which actually profit off your hard work. Unfortunately, I no longer have a list but some asking around will definitely yield a lot more information.

18. Daniel Lau says:

So uh, how does Mangafox actually stay online?

19. Nitrohell says:

Try http://www.manga-access.com
    You need to register if you want to add stuff, but other then that you are good to go.
    Also, you are able to see your uploaded manga right after it finishes upload, it’s then up to the admins to decide if they want to keep it or not, in case it’s a dupe or there is one with a better quality.

There are some advertises, but no pop up ones.

20. Anon says:

Batoto.net seems here to stay and is one of the few sites that actually respect the scanlators (and doesn’t upload anything they didn’t get directly from them). Not sure if this is still relevant what with this post being from two years ago but yeah … here you go.